Labels

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

The Gruffalo - A Review

Trying to find a children's book to read that doesn't make you want to gouge your eyes out? Behold, the Gruffalo.

Title: The Gruffalo
Author: Julia Donaldson
Illustrator: Axel Scheffler
Rating: 10
Readability:  10


Description: This is a rhyming story of a mouse and a monster. Little mouse goes for a walk in a dangerous forest. To scare off his enemies he invents tales of a fantastical creature called the Gruffalo. So imagine his surprise when he meets the real Gruffalo... (From Goodreads)


What I Liked:

Okay I love this book.
Like, for reals.

It’s probably one of my favourite ones to read to my daughter.
The rhyming is perfect, the pace is perfect, the story is cute and fun, and the illustrations are spot on.

You know how sometimes you’re reading a book and the lines just don’t have quite the same rhythm, so you find your brain trying to come up with better words? You don’t have to worry about that in this book! It's fabulous.

Evelyn loves when the Gruffalo appears, and when I read the description in a more and more panicked tone. Then I scream in fear, "Oh help! Oh no! It's a gruffalo!" 
It’s one of the most hilarious things of her life.

This is one of the books in our collection that I don’t mind reading 12 times in a row. In fact I’ll actually suggest it!

Bonus points for doing it in different voices for each animal.


What I Didn’t Like:

Nothing. It’s wonderful.
The only thing I don’t like is that I didn’t write it, and therefore cannot be the coolest person ever.


Extras:
Uh, you can also buy it in Latin:

TL;DR:


BUY THIS BOOK FOR EVERY CHILD YOU KNOW.

(Buy it here and I get a cut! ;) )


1 comment:

  1. sounds like a book my daughter would love. I will have to look into it.

    ReplyDelete