Labels

Monday, February 8, 2016

Someday - A Review

Title: Someday
Author: Alison McGhee

Illustrator: Peter H. Reynolds
Rating: 10
Readability:  0 (Due to my incomprehensible sobbing/reading)


Description:
A mother's love leads to a mother's dream -- every mother's dream -- for her child to live life to its fullest.

A deceptively simple, powerful ode to the potential of love and the potential in life, Someday is the book you'll want to share with someone else...today.  (From Goodreads)

What I Liked:

Someday starts with a mother remembering her baby, talking to her child, and then imagining what her future will be like. The illustrations are gorgeous and simple water colours, done in a style that suits the words perfectly. 

This book has the distinction of being the only book to ever make me cry in the middle of Costco. Yeah, you read that right. It’s beautiful.

The page that got me was right at the beginning – “One day the first snowflakes fell, and I held you up and watched them melt on your baby skin.”

I HAD JUST DONE THIS THE DAY BEFORE WITH MY BABY.

Geeze oh man.

After that there was no hope. I was trying to sneakily wipe away my tears whilst exiting the book section and making my way over to the onions. I could blame it on those! But luckily my husband and children found me and rescued me from embarrassment instead.

My older daughter loves this book. One of the phrases, “your heart will feel like fire,” has become something she loves to say.

“Mom, I’m so excited my heart feels like fire!”

It’s adorable.

I love this book, and my daughter loves it, and I love reading it to her, and it makes me love her more. It’s lovely.


What I Didn’t Like:

I’m a big fat cornball so I loved the sentimentality, but if that’s not your jam, be warned!


Extras:

Me, every time I read this book:



TL;DR:

Heartwarming story of a mother's love. 
Warning: May produce awkward tears at Costco.



Is there a book that always makes you cry?

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to read this book..... or maybe not If I don't want to cry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to read this book..... or maybe not If I don't want to cry :)

    ReplyDelete